Call for papers: 8th southern Africa Regional Conference
Participants wishing to present papers are invited to submit a synopsis(abstract) (500 words, in English) by e-mail to the Chairman and the Organizing Committee by 31 March 2017
Further information may be found on the Conference website: www.cigresa-events.co.za
To provide an international platform to share information between electric utilities, system operators, regulators, manufacturers and suppliers, universities, standardizing bodies, research laboratories and authorities on the selected topics in the field of enabling the supply of electricity to Africa and Developing Economies.
BACKGROUND and SCOPE
Sub-Saharan Africa is a region of historical paradox and full of promise for the future, particularly in the domain of electricity where many opportunities exist.
- About 20% of the population has access to electricity, but in rural areas this figure drops to 8%.
- Certain countries have adopted successful electrification programs, where electricity penetration reaches more than 80% of the population. It should be possible to learn from such cases.
- Only a small percentage of the huge energy resources have been put into use; a significant portion of hydro capacity and other resource types can still be exploited.
- Distributed Generation and Microgrid technologies have advanced significantly in recent years. Case studies of successful projects that have been implemented will assist with the learning process.
- Network losses (both technical and non-technical) are very high; long transmission distances and inefficient metering and revenue collection methods contribute to this state of affairs.
- Economic growth and electricity infrastructure growth does not always happen in tandem. Frequent load shedding events and poor network reliability often exacerbate the generation/load balance.
The aim of the Conference is to provide a unique forum for the exchange of ideas to contribute to the future vision for the development of electrical systems in Sub-Saharan Africa.
The Conference is the biennial Discussion Forum organized by the Cigre Southern Africa National Committee for members, associates and experts from Africa and Developing Economies. The theme of the Conference will be based on the following:
Electricity Supply to Africa and Developing Economies – Challenges and Opportunities
The Preferential Subjects that will be discussed are within the following scope.
- Enabling Universal Access to electricity in developing economies
- Technology solutions and innovations for developing economies
- Planning for the future in uncertain times
Schedule for the Conference in Somerset West
|14 November 2017||15 November 2017||16 November 2017||17 November 2017|
|Tutorial session||Conference Day 1||Conference Day 2||Technical Tours|
The Conference will be held as a four-day session. The first day will be dedicated to a Tutorial session that will be hosted by a variety of industry experts. All papers that are within the scope will be accepted, and authors should be prepared to present a summary of their paper at the Conference and to answer questions from the audience. It will include the classical sessions with presentations and discussions of reports that have been prepared in advance, but will also feature panel discussions on selected topics.
The Chairman and Organizing Committee however also reserve the right to identify papers that are not directly linked to the discussion stream and to publish these without presentation or discussion.
SUBMISSION of SYNOPSES
Submission of abstracts: 31 March 2017
Notification of acceptance: 28 April 2017
Submission of Full Papers: 14 July 2017
SUBMISSION OF PAPERS
Participants wishing to present papers are invited to submit a synopsis(abstract) (500 words, in English) by e-mail to the Chairman and the Organizing Committee by 31 March 2017.
Each abstract or synopsis must indicate the topic to be addressed (see number 1 to 3 of the Programme). The name, title, affiliation, full address (postal, fax and e-mail) of the author is required. The synopsis download is available to be downloaded on the Conference website www.cigresa-events.co.za under Call for Papers.
The notification of the acceptance of papers will be sent to the authors by 28 April 2017, and completed papers (in English), will be required by 14 July 2017.
Synopses and papers must be sent to the following e-mail addresses:
Chairman: Mr Roger Cormack E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Organising Committee: Mr Kurt Dedekind E-mail: DedekiVK@eskom.co.za
The general program of the Conference will be issued in June 2017, with all the relevant information including technical program, registration and accommodation details.
Further information may be found on the Conference website - www.cigresa-events.co.za
Anelja de Bok
Phone: +27 82 902 4606